People With Impaired Hearing 1985-1989
1. Studying of ways of social and professional self-determination of deaf persons and people with impaired hearing.
2. Finances: The Deafs’ Union of the Estonian S.S.R., contract A-85/6.
3. The study was conducted by the Laboratory of Deviant Behavior at the Department of Sociology of Tartu University. The research team included:
Jüri Saar - senior researcher K. Kotsar - senior researcher Jaan Ginter - researcher Valdeko Paavel - researcher Regina Toom - researcher Helle Karv - junior researcher Ivo Lätti - junior researcher Judit Strömpl - senior engineer Ernestine Lani - assistant Anna Shumskaja - laboratory assistant
4. The address: Tiigi 78-219 Tartu EE2400 Tel: 37-27-430 809
5. The research subjects were people with impaired hearing in the city and county of Tartu, aged 1-18.
6. The main research directions:
· Statistical registration of people with impaired hearing in the city and county of Tartu - putting together the register (1986) · A sociological study of persons with impaired hearing in the city and county of Tartu. · The elaboration of the logical structure of a permanent info system on people with impaired hearing in Estonia. · The creation of a system of conducting courses in the elementary training of sign language; the elaboration of the basics of a system for professional training of deaf persons. · The compiling of a vocabulary of sign language
7. All 1-18 year old residents with impaired hearing in the city and county of Tartu were studied.
8. The data were gathered in 1986.
9. The data were gathered by a mail survey. ... respondents were polled.
10. 10 papers were published on the research results.
11. The overview was written by J. Strömpl.